Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Seven Deadly Sins: WRATH


Every person gets angry at some point in their lives. However, not everyone experiences Wrath. Wrath is considered to be feelings of hatred or anger to the point where they can no longer be controlled. It can lead to impatience, violence, and eventually self-destruction as Wrath can linger long after an incident happens. It is the only sin that isn't always associated with self-interest or selfishness, though it can certainly be both those things.

Wrath is a sin that can be expressed both externally towards others and internally towards the self. So while it is obvious when someone is wrathful outwardly, it is a lot harder to figure out when someone is inwardly. The ultimate end to Wrath is death, whether through homicide or suicide as these are literally the final expressions of hatred a person can commit.

To put an end to Wrath we have the heavenly virtue, Patience. To resolve issues and conflicts peacefully, without the use of violence, to forgive others and ourselves, to show mercy, and to create harmony within your community is what the essence of Patience is.

This sin is ranked second in my list as I have severely struggled with it in the past, and still do, though thankfully less so. As a kid I hated myself, and thought I was doomed to Hell. I had a plethora of reasons for believing this, the most idiotic simply being because I was left handed. Most people who knew me didn't know about my intense feelings towards myself, and for a long time I continued on silently until one day I just couldn't take it anymore. I was ten years old.

Thankfully, I had my family to help me realize that what I thought was wrong, I certainly wasn't going to Hell, and that my self-hatred was unwarranted. Since then I have learned to have more Patience with myself, to give myself a break and not be so hard on myself. I am still a work in progress, but I am progressing. I have less of an issue with the external expression of Wrath since I generally am a patient person. However, I have a personality type where admitting anger regarding the ones I care about is difficult so I need to be careful not to let small injustices stack up into pent up resentments.

The key with this sin is that Wrath is when anger gets out of control. It is okay to get upset, to get angry. There just needs to be an adequate reason for the anger, and proper handling of said anger. Good communication is one of the ways that can help that cause.

So how does Wrath rate with you? Do you express it inwardly? Outwardly? Both ways? Is it difficult for you not to get too steamed up, or are you cool as a cucumber? Let me know your thoughts in the comments.

^-^

No comments:

Post a Comment