Monday, October 28, 2013

Seven Deadly Sins: GLUTTONY


Gluttony is considered the over-indulgence or over-consumption of anything to the point of waste. So while the images of people gorging themselves on food and drink most often come to mind, such people are not the only perpetrators of this vice. People who become obsessive about something can get into trouble with this as well. Gluttony can also be interpreted as selfishness because you are placing your own self-interests over the well-being and self-interests of others.

It used to be considered that if you eat before appointed meal times, eat too expensive/luxurious food, eat too delicate/elaborate food, or enjoy the process of eating too much then you were also committing the sin of Gluttony, not just when you overate. This meant that snacks were a no-no, spices and condiments were looked down upon, and caviar from France was out of the question. However, as time has passed these other paths to Gluttony have been discarded by most.

Gluttony is blocked by the heavenly virtue, Temperance. It is restraint, moderation of one's actions, thoughts, and feelings. To be mindful of others and their needs, and to have self control when it comes to your own wants and desires.

This sin is number three on my list. It would be number one if the older versions of this sin were still widely in use, though I'm quite grateful that that's not the case. If it was then I would never be allowed to have my sister's cooking, and only my own instead. I do over-consume food sometimes. It is something I'm trying to work on. However, food is not my only problem. Unfortunately, I also have an issue with obsession, as in it's quite easy for me to develop a hobby and then use up all of my time pursuing said hobby. It's a trap I have fallen into many times, and some days it's hard getting out of. 

The good thing is that when it comes to Gluttony and other people I don't have nearly as hard of a time. As I've said before I like sharing. This includes my time. So when I have others around me I am less likely to fall victim to Gluttony.

Now that you know a little more about the sin, Gluttony, what are your thoughts? Do you have a difficult time with over-indulgence? Or are you adept at restraining yourself? Let me know your thoughts in the comments.

^-^

2 comments:

  1. This one is probably my number one. I have always had this weird issue with food. I use it as a coping mechanism instead of sustenance and so I obsess over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food is delicious, and a coping mechanism sometimes... which is why I think a lot of people have a problem with this one. Self-control is hard ._.

    ReplyDelete