Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Seven Deadly Sins: GREED


Greed is a fairly straightforward sin. It is the desire to possess wealth, goods, or objects of abstract value for yourself to an excessive degree, far beyond what you actually need. It is considered a sin that when indulged there is no satisfying it, leaving you frustrated and never truly happy with what you have. This is true both of those who seek the material, and those who try to be excessively moral, social, or better than others.

Greed, though found throughout society, is generally looked down upon, and has great consequences. People who have a great deal of Greed often find themselves without true friendship, and feel isolated from the rest of the world. Eventually these people can no longer sustain the sheer volume of items they possess, or deal with their impulses, and fall into ruin.

Greed is the sin that is combated by Charity. This is not the modern day charity as it includes generosity, self-sacrifice, and unlimited love. It is doing for others without expectation.

I consider Greed to be my second least as far as the seven deadly sins are concerned because from time to time I do find myself a little on the greedy side. This usually happens in the case of small things, thankfully, and generally isn't hard for me to stop the urge. My position as the middle child in my family has helped to foster my mentality as sharing comes quite naturally. I genuinely don't have the desire for excessive amounts of things (well... except maybe books). So as long as I don't become a serious bookworm I should be okay.

How do you interact with Greed? Do you find it a little harder to not hoard things, both physical and abstract? Or is this sin not really your thing? Let me know your thoughts in the comments.

^-^

1 comment:

  1. I like things too much, but I do give up stuff I don't need or no longer use.

    ReplyDelete